Posted by Department of Health (Immunise Australia Program), NPS MedicineWise (Stop the spread of flu (influenza)) on 8th Mar 2018
Personal Protection Module - Contains Gloves, Filtration Breathing Mask with soft loops, Alcohol Wipes for surfaces, Clear Eye Specs, Dispoable Apron and Biohazard Bag for safe disposal of contaminated items (tissues etc) Part Number: UF-SWM-P
Colds and flu prevention
2 min read
Good hygiene is one of the most important ways to help prevent colds and flu (influenza).
Other ways to help prevent flu can include:
- annual flu vaccination
- antiviral medicines, although these are only recommended for preventing flu if you have been exposed to the flu in the previous 48 hours.
Good hygiene includes:
- washing your hands regularly and properly with soap and water, particularly after touching your nose or mouth, and before handling food
- sneezing and coughing into tissues then throwing them away immediately and washing your hands
- cleaning surfaces such as your keyboard, telephone and door handles regularly to get rid of germs
- not sharing cups, plates and cutlery
- where you can, avoid sharing towels with other people and throw disposable tissues and paper towels in the bin immediately after using them.
What should I know about the flu vaccine?
The flu vaccine is available for anyone from 6 months of age. The best time to get the flu shot is early autumn to allow time for your immunity to be strengthened before the flu season (June to September) starts. It is important to have the vaccine each year to continue to be protected because your immunity decreases over time and the flu strains change over time as well.
The flu vaccine is free for the following people:
- anyone aged 65 years and over
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people aged 6 months to less than 5 years, and from 15 years of age
- pregnant women
- anyone over 6 months of age with medical conditions such as severe asthma, lung disease or heart disease, low immunity or diabetes that can lead to complications from influenza.
For more information on the flu vaccine, go to the Immunise Australia website or call the Program Information Line on 1800 671 811.
Warmer spring days sparks the commencement of snake season, when they become active out of brumation (a hibernation-like state), looking to breed and source food.Home to the world’s most venomous snakes, Australia sees approx. 3000 snake bites occur per year, of which 300 receive anti-venom and on average, one or two bites prove fatal.Calling on [...]
RID Australia have just released their new product - Rid Insect Repellent with Sunscreen Combo.How perfect for our Australian conditons. The tried, tested and trusted Australian brand RID have developed their insect repellent lotion and added sunscreen at the high value rating of SPF50+ and it is both UVA and UVB broad spectrum protective. 4 [...]
Treating burns when cooking in the kitchenCooking can be a dangerous (and painful!) business as anyone who has suffered a burn whilst in the kitchen can attest.Fortunately for such kitchen first aid needs and to treat other burns and scalds, there’s Burnaid. With Burnaid’s range of products you can throw away the worry about correctly [...]
Welcome... In his 1906 handbook, after years of research, botanist T.P. Lucas stated that he believed the papaw was the finest natural medicine yet discovered.The papaw ointment that T.P. Lucas went on to develop is still a proven remedy used world-wide for its therapeutic benefits... Why?... Lucas Papaw Ointment has anti- bacterial and antimicrobial properties. It can be [...]
Hello and Welcome to our new website. We have been spending any months developing our new look and we hope you like our new logo and branding. UFirst will be bringing you high quality First Aid products and our aim is to be the NO.1 Name in First Aid products. UFirst has a long history of [...]